Fairy kei: D.I.Y. Handmade skirts ☆

by - Monday, September 07, 2015

Hello everyone!  ʕ´••`ʔ
If you have read my previous posts, you would have known that I'm a fan of pastel shades and the closest Japanese fashion, or more specific Harajuku subculture will be Fairy kei, Read on if you are interested to find out more about Fairy kei and my creations!  ❤  Long post warning ☆ 

Model: Moco  Photo: Tokyofashion.com

What is Fairy kei fashion?
Putting them into short words, these two words, Fairy kei, literally translates to the meaning of fairy style. People who deck in fairy kei often incorporate cute icons from the 80s such as My Little Pony, Strawberry Shortcake and Care Bears into their coordinates. Here are some useful links for you to understand more about this lovely subculture. LINK LINK LINK

She has recently left the Fairy kei scene to focus in her other areas.

Some brands that fairy kei-ers love to get their clothes from are Nile Perch, ManiaQ, SPANK and Milklim. However, not all brands are catered to international customers like myself (Nile Perch & ManiaQ does) unless you use specific shopping service agents. 


I have personally only used before TENSO and the shipping rates can sometimes be pretty close to the cost price of the items you purchase from Japanese online stores.


As much as I would love to make myself more fairy like, I prefer coordinating clothes with my own hair rather than wearing pastel-coloured wigs because the weather in Singapore can be so crazy all the time. There is nothing wrong with using your own hair since at the end of the day, fashion should be something you enjoy wearing and feel good about it.



I have always loved Nile Perch dearly and despite the fact that they do ship internationally (payment by paypal), the price for each piece of dress can go up to 10, 000yen approximately S$117, which is too much for my wallet to handle. Thus, the best help is to D.I.Y!!

Some of my favourite Nile Perch pieces 


All pictures belong to Nile Perch ☆ 

I have always wanted to design and sew my own pieces of clothing. With three months worth of holidays  that ended last week, I decided to go ahead with this plan in mind. The waiting process for some preordered Japanese fabric was a long one but nonetheless, pretty things are worth waiting for.

I did not manage to sew much since I am still an amateur but here are some of the clothing that I have handmade myself with inspirations from Nile Perch. By sewing your clothes yourself, you can save much more and make them uniquely yours. If you are thinking of trying out Fairy kei, why not sew yourself some simple skirts or dresses?

Firstly, a red gingham dress just right for summer!


Adding the two ribbons really makes a difference!


Next, a pink gingham suspender skirt 


This pink gingham suspender skirt was supposedly your ordinary elastic band skirt but somehow I just started to add on the suspender straps, frills and ribbons and it turned into what it is in the picture.

Lastly, I made a simple elastic band skirt with this beautiful Japanese fabric, painted by Econeco, one of my favourite Japanese illustrators. I have yet to wear this out but if you are interested, you can always check out my instagram for my coordinates.



Please take note that I am not a professional seamstress so my works are that of an amateur but credits should still be given should you share any of my pictures. Do feel free to give me any feedback for area of improvements and tag me if you have any of your own creations, I would love to see your own art pieces!
 ʕ //>ᴥ<\\ʔ 

For the time being, I have been dealing with elastic band, one of the simplest tool for amateurs like me but I hope to hop onto zips, collars or even sleeves some day and make myself my perfect piece of peter-pan collared one piece. I have currently rolled back to school since a new semester has started and I have also promised myself to work extra hard to attain better results.

Why are Rina-chan and Nica-chan so cute!!!

Hope you have a good read~
Till then! 

You May Also Like

0 comments